Research at a glance
- Postdoctoral Fellow 2021-2023 – University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT Department of Psychological Sciences, ASD Long-Term Outcomes Study (PIs I. Eigsti and D. Fein), Faculty Mentor: Dr. Inge-Marie Eigsti
- Ph. D. 2021 – University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI, Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, Dissertation: Processing-Based Factors in Child Language Impairment, Faculty Mentor: Dr. Susan Ellis Weismer
- M.Ed. 2012 – University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, Department of Education and Human Development, Major: Speech-Language Pathology
- B.S. 2010 – Eastern Illinois University, Charleston, IL, Department of Communication Disorders and Sciences, Major: Communication Disorders and Sciences; Minor: Psychology
SLHS 8320 – Speech Sound Disorders
Developmental Language Disorder, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Language, Cognition, Neural Function, Pediatrics, Long-term Outcomes
Dr. Larson’s research examines relationships between language and other cognitive factors in individuals with language disorders, including Developmental Language Disorder and Autism Spectrum Disorder, using behavioral and functional neuroimaging methodologies. The long-term goal of her research is to answer foundational questions about language development and language processing in neurotypical and clinical populations. The translational goals of her research are to improve differential diagnosis and treatment of individuals with language disorders.
She is an American Speech-Language-Hearing Association certified speech-language pathologist with 4 years of pediatric clinical experience and a member of the advocacy group, Raising Awareness of Developmental Language Disorder.
- Larson, C., Kaplan, D., Girolamo, T., Kover, S., Eigsti, I. (2023). A Bayesian statistics tutorial for clinical research: Prior distributions and meaningful results for small clinical samples. Journal of Clinical Psychology. doi: 10.1002/jclp.23570
- Larson, C., Thomas, H. R., Crutcher, J., Stevens, M. C., & Eigsti, I. (2023). Language networks in Autism Spectrum Disorder: A systematic review of connectivity-based fMRI studies. Review Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40489-023-00382-6
- Larson, C., Mathée-Scott, J., Kaplan, D., & Ellis Weismer, S. (2023). Cognitive processes associated with working memory in children with Developmental Language Disorder. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jecp.2023.105709
- Larson, C., Rivera-Figueroa, K., Thomas, H. R., Stevens, M. C., Fein, D., & Eigsti, I. (2022). Structural language impairment in Autism Spectrum Disorder versus Loss of Autism Diagnosis: Behavioral and neural characteristics. NeuroImage: Clinical, 34, 103043.
- Larson, C. & Ellis Weismer, S. (2022). Working memory performance in children with Developmental Language Disorder: The role of domain. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 65(5), 1906-1920.